2016-09-13 13:56:30 by jdixon
Here's another quick update to demonstrate what's possible with a single Graphite node running master (these Carbon and Graphite-Web commits, specifically). As you'll see in the results below, this configuration was able to achieve 300k datapoints per second.
This test was performed on a Packet type 3 server with the pair of NVMe flash drives striped in a single LVM volume. Installation of the Graphite stack was still performed using Synthesize v.2.4.1. To take advantage of the increased I/O capacity I added more cache processes for a grand total of eight (8) relays and sixteen (16) caches. Five instances of Haggar ran concurrently, on a separate Packet type 1 server in the same Parsippany, NJ datacenter.
- Comments (2)
2016-09-12 12:15:25 by jdixon
Hello, friends. Just wanted to follow up the previous post with a quick update. As I've mentioned publicly, developing and cutting a new release from Graphite's master branch has become a personal and professional priority for me. And while I've become very familiar with much of the code base over the course of writing The Graphite Book and have thrown a lot of traffic at it over the last few months, I hadn't run any significant tests for performance regressions at scale (compared to the 0.9.15 release).
This round of tests used the same configuration and benchmarking processes as before. I neglected to mention this before, but all series of benchmarks started with installing Graphite using the Synthesize setup script. For the previous test I used Synthesize v.2.4.1 to install Graphite 0.9.15 on a 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instance in Amazon's EC2 cloud. For this round I went with Synthesize v3.0.0RC2, which targets Graphite's master branch.
- Comments (0)